Explore the workings of effective council-manager relations with ICMA West Coast Regional Director Kevin Duggan and ICMA Special Liaison for Governance Mike Conduff, authors of the newly published ICMA E-book, Making It Work: The Essentials of Council-Manager Relations.
Following the flow of the book Kevin and Mike will provide an overview of council-manager relations, including:
- emphasizing the critical nature of the relationship
- how to nurture and clarify roles within the relationship
- the need to develop mutual trust
- tips on how to manage the group process
They will also discuss:
- 8 key behaviors of a high performance council
- proper orientation of new council members
- effective council meetings
- council retreat best practices
- the “audiences” of the council
- how to communicate with the council
- how to establish and manage the council staff relationship
- how to be always professional
- the Bad Apple Council Member
- undermining by staff
- taking an organizational mistep
- being placed in transition
Michael A. (Mike) Conduff
The Elim Group
Michael A. (Mike) Conduff is the president and CEO of The Elim Group and also serves as ICMA’s senior advisor for governance. Conduff is a multiple time best-selling author with Jack Canfield (of Chicken Soup fame) for their book The Success Secret and with Brian Tracy for their book Pushing to the Front – Front Line Strategies from the World’s Leading Experts. Additionally, he writes a regular governance column for Public Management (PM) magazine, is a contributing author to the ICMA Green Book series and is frequently published or quoted in other national publications.
West Coast Regional Director, ICMA
Kevin C. Duggan is ICMA's West Coast Regional Director and serves as the staff liaison for members and professional organizations in California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska and Nevada. He has 40 years of municipal government experience including 27 years as the city manager of Mountain View and Campbell, California. He is a credentialed city manager and has served as president of both Cal-ICMA and the City Manager's Division of the League of California Cities. He has participated in executive development programs at the University of Virginia and the University of California, Berkeley. He also participated in a ICMA international exchange with Limerick County, Ireland. In 2013 he received the National Pubic Service Award from the American Society for Public Administration and the National Academy of Public Administration.